There’s a popular saying in business, ‘you have to spend money to make money’. This is very true for Chapters in recruiting and retaining members. Whether you have a small budget, with little to spend, or money to spend but not sure how to spend it, here are a few suggestions that will be worth the investment.
- Business Cards ($): Use Vistaprint.com to order business cards for your Chapter Members. Simply place your Chapter logo, website, general email, and social media accounts (if you have them). 500 cards can be ordered for just $20! Distribute cards to your chapter members and encourage them to pass them out at other networking events.
- Direct Mail ($$): 100 standard size post cards can be ordered for $20 on Vistaprint.com, plus postage of $34.00. Considering sending monthly or quarterly post cards to your contact list to promote upcoming events. Direct mail is still a great way to get in front of an audience.
- Facebook Advertising ($$): You can budget however much you want for Facebook, you would be surprised how many impressions you can get for $50-$100. Promote your next event, or encourage people to follow your Chapter Facebook page. You can target who sees your ad by gender, age, employment, profession, geography, and so on. This is a great way to introduce AFWA to a new audience.
- Email Provider ($-$$$): If you’re Chapter doesn’t have one already, we recommend you look into an email provider such as ConstantContact or MailChimp. These platforms allow you to easily design email messages and manage your contact list (no more copy and paste from a list in excel!). MailChimp offers a FREE subscription with less than 2,000 subscribers. And ConstantContact is just $20/month with up to 500 contacts.
- Membership Management ($$$): A Membership Management platform, such as StarChapter, can offer a number of services for your chapter – emailing, website design, a contact database, membership tracking, and so on. A lite plan costs just $49 per month. You can preview StarChapter here or contact Lydia Tucker. (AFWA does not have a formal relationship with StarChaper at the National level. However several AFWA Chapters have started using their services with much satisfaction)
As always, headquarters is happy to help your chapter implement any of these suggestions. Feel free to contact email@example.com for assistance or for more ideas.